Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Adventures at the Moon-lit square

I take one step and stop to look around. To my right (down), is sitting, a paanwala engrossed with filling and wrapping the paan (betel leaf) as per his customer's order. I look up across the street, there is this famous Indian sweets and savouries shop, Haldiram's, which is running to a full house. I walk a few more steps. There is this vendor with his small mobile stand, selling moong dal ke gulgule (fritters of an amazing sort) surrounded by customers shouting orders. I take a few steps more and I reach Ghantewala, the much acclaimed sweet shop of Chandni Chowk. Get a few rasmalais from there. White ones. Yes! White! Gol and chapet. That is round and flat ones. I walk down again. Another few steps. Reach Kanwarji's. Madhouse this. Mister P loves this shop. He says nothing can beat this place. I keep shut here, as I still haven't tasted all that Chandni Chowk has to offer. At Kanwarji's, I got. Hold Your breath. I got Malpudas, Paneer ki Jalebis, Kachoris with HOT aloo ki subji, Aloo ke lacche (I chose medium spicy ones), and Dal bhuji (maximum spice variety) which might be known to some of you as Dal Moth. I am yet to taste the Malpudas and the Aloo ke Lacche. The rest of everything was good. I am bereft of words more than these.
A winner, however, was this list that my eyes rolled upon. It is a list of Mirza Ghalib's favourite food. And I found that unke aur humare zayke kaafi mel khate hain.

16 comments:

~ ॐ ~ said...

directions are important...

exact ones please.. i need to go to these places !!!

FH said...

Slurp!!!! They look so good, I envy you!:))

Juhi said...

Yummm...you reminded me of all that tasty dilli wala food...gosh! I miss it... and did you take a stroll in the parathewali gali?? Great post!!

Juhi said...

And yeah! what about Ghalib ki haveli? Zayeke to miltye hain..shayri bhi shuru kar di kya?

Gonecase aka. Shutter Singh said...

:( :( :( Am all nostalgic, thanks to you.
So many things in a single outing, now I am really jealous of you. Diwali kab aayegi *sighs !!

~ Deeps ~ said...

oh the sweets at CC.....amazing stuff........have u tried the corner jalebi shop ?
btw u visited ballimaran and ghalibs's haveli ?

Reeta Skeeter said...

~||om||~: Wo ittar wali dukaan hai na... usse bahar nikal rahe ho to start walking on your right... after 20-25 shops will come Kanwarji's, and then will come Ghantewala after another 7-8 shops. Yeah do go and enjoy!
===================================
asha: :))
===================================
juhi: Na dear... will do that in winters.. tu bhi aa ja :)
===================================
juhi: Nahi.. nahi ji nahi... abhi tak to nahi.
===================================
gonecase: :D I fink November 9 ki hai :P tab tak watch this space for more :P
===================================
~deeps~: Ya ya I have... used to go there a lot as a kid. Abhi kaafi der se ni khayi.. shall go in winters... Yeah I went to ballimaran and ghalibs's haveli. And that too akele *giggles*... :D a post coming up on RS about that soon!!!
===================================

~ ॐ ~ said...

theek hai...

main jata hoon sooon !!!

Ankur Arora said...

Malpudas, Paneer ki Jalebis, Kachoris with HOT Aloo ki subji, Aloo ke lacche.....Breathless! :)
Need to eat them...Need to get my breath back! :D

Łóòň Ġãĺ said...

"slurp slurp"

i need someone like you with me!! once again .. when did u say u're coming here? :P

Gonecase aka. Shutter Singh said...

I have already started making my list :P

Unknown said...

Mouth watering trip. I'm glad I saved up a samosa. Appetizing!

Unknown said...

Title to bahut badhiya hain...bus "square" ki spelling... :)
I have a request. Why don't you make a list of your most favorite twenty eating places in Delhi, with their exact locations, and what is it on their menu that makes your heart sing. Please, please, please.

Akshay Gandhi said...

Hmmm! So Ghalib n ur taste buds match??? But poor Ghalib had never been to Cafe Mocha or Smokin Joes or had franky... U seem to hav tasted larger variety of fud den Ghalib...

Reeta Skeeter said...

ankur: hmm..got it back yet?
==================================
loony: pata ni :(
==================================
gonecase: good, mujhe bhi zara dikhana apni list...
==================================
j: :P
==================================
woodsmoke: hehe changed it.. me and typos r best friends... ;) acha...this is a good idea the 20 places one...shall definitely do it sometime... when will you be in dilli next? usse pehle :D ;D
==================================
dobs: Are you trying to flatter me :P ;D :D ==================================
==================================

di.di said...

1st pix: we called it maruku, here in malaysia.. if im not mistaken lor...